Savory Bacon Cheddar Scones
- 8-10 slices Sugardale Bacon
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 stick + 1 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp. chives, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream + 2-3 Tbsp. additional
- 1 egg
- Prepare Sugardale bacon in oven or in skillet until crisp. Allow to cool and drain on paper towels. Then, chop bacon into pieces until you have about 1 cup of chopped bacon. Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Mix together with a fork or whisk.
- Then cut the butter into the flour mixture using a fork or pastry knife until mixture resembles small pebbles.
- Stir in the shredded cheese, chives, and bacon.
- Then, gently mix in the buttermilk and heavy cream until incorporated. If mixture is too dry, add additional heavy cream until dough forms a ball.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and form into a ball. Using a rolling pin or your hands, flatten into a circle about 1/2-inch thick. Cut the circle into 10 equal sized wedges.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with 2-3 Tbsp. of water. Brush the tops and sides of each dough wedge with the egg wash and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 400° F, about 20 minutes, until scones have browned on top and are no longer doughy in the center. Allow to cool slightly before serving.